Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The List

As part of my warts and all approach, I thought I'd make a running list of the schools that have invited me to submit a supplemental application. So far, here they are:
  • Columbia University
  • Boston University
  • Medical College of Georgia
  • George Washington University
  • University of Chicago (Pritzker School of Medicine)
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Vermont
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • University of North Carolina
  • New York University
I'm excited but I'm not getting too carried away with it. I think it's probably best to take the invites with a grain of salt because some schools invite everyone to fill out a secondary application. Think about it: In most cases, several thousand applicants are competing for just a few spots. If everyone is invited to complete a secondary application at a cost of, let's say, $100, the university earns a nice sum of money from people who have a snowball's chance of getting into school.

Nice system, huh? People just line up to give you money. Maybe I should open a medical school, invite all applicants to complete a $100 secondary application, and reject them all. Doesn't sound like all that bad of a plan.

No comments: