Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Just watched "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" for the second time in the last few days. It's really an amazing documentary.

The film's trailer.

Like many, I'd been peripherally aware of Daniel Johnston's music via others' performances of it. During the mid-80s, I was just cutting my teeth on music that was off the beaten path. As a result, he was off my radar until many years later; his story was one about which I new a few details but nothing comprehensive. I'm awed by the peaks and valleys of his musical career and, even more importantly, of his life.

I must admit that, while viewing the special features on the DVD, the filmed reunion between Laurie and Daniel made me cry. I'm not so sure that it should've happened (the reunion, not my tears) or, at the very least, that it should've been filmed. It broke my heart.

I can't get his songs out of my head. "Speeding Motorcycle" has been stuck there for days.

Anyway, give this one a shot.

2 comments:

Randy said...

Had it in my Netflix queue and just bumped it to the top from #384.

Randy said...

I watched it today in lieu of work. It was very interesting and moving.

Poor dude. Sounds like he's got the right meds now. I think Laurie might oughta share a little sumpin sumpin.

I've heard that tune Devil Town on a movie or TV. Gonna get on the web and find out where. I remember thinking when I heard it that it was a cool tune. Given my old ass, it probably won some grunge band a Grammy while I was listening to my NPR podcasts.