Monday, August 01, 2011

On Free Lunch and Ethical Comprimise

On my last rotation, drug reps would provide lunch for the office in exchange for a little face time with the doc to discuss their products and garner feedback from the prescribing physicians.  As I was essentially glued to his hip, I attended these lunches also.  The more experienced reps seemed to have an easy-going relationship with the doc: they'd known one another for a long time, they'd talk about the drug, and, thankfully, would intersperse normal conversation.  For many of these, it was informative and beneficial.  Here's new information about a drug, here's a new combination with a synergistic drug, here's some news about pricing or insurance coverage that will help your patients, and ask for information about how the physician prescribes it.  Also, they'd stock the sample shelves.  So, it's a good way to get information.  As a student, it was a great way to learn a little more pharmacology involved in family practice and save some cash on lunch.

Occasionally, however, I'd meet a rep that really made me feel icky, that reminded me of a caricature of a used car salesman.  On one particular day, a slick dressed gent who wasn't particularly humble was pitching his wares and doing his best to sell his drug.  He was trying so damned hard that, at one point, he actually says "Boom!!!  Take that, high blood pressure!" about his drug's ability to lower pressure.

I sat there amazed but thankful for the best catchphrase I'd hear in quite some time.  Personally, I'd love to see it in some ad campaigns.

No comments: