Wednesday, November 21, 2007

No Country

So, today marks the wide-release of the Coen brothers big screen version of Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men.

A production still from the movie.

I gotta tell ya, today is my Christmas. Ever since I read the first page of McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses in 1993, I've been hooked on his work. With exception of a play published last year, I've read everything he's done. Hands down, he's my favorite author.

Yesterday, I reread the book in anticipation of the film. Today, I'm seeing it with my buddy Randy, who has scheduled an "off-site meeting" for this afternoon. I guess that we'll be among a few in the theater and probably in a minority of folks who are geeking out over it to such a large degree.

When Billy Bob Thornton turned in All the Pretty Horses, the studio massacred it. I heard his version was longer and, probably, more like the book. Unfortunately, it seems that the studio wasn't sure how to market the film, edited it heavily in post-production, and released a beautifully shot, well-acted film that was a shadow of the gritty, bloody, coming-of-age western contained in the novel. Thankfully the Coens' pedigree allow them the creative license to accurately recreate the story without meddling from the suits. From the buzz that the movie is already generating, I'd say they've done a kick-ass job with it.

Having the Coens at the helm of the picture seems to atone for the fact that Oprah selected McCarthy's The Road for her book of the month pick. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for McCarthy's success but I'd like Oprah to stay the hell away from him. Anyway, I'm thrilled to see the film today. I'll follow-up on it later.

More on Cormac McCarthy here.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I just hope this movie has more comfortable scenes with that Javier guy unlike the last movie we saw him in on Ponce back in 2000!