Saturday, September 12, 2009

Five Weeks In: Cracks Are Starting to Show

I guess the end of this week brings it to five weeks in medical school. So far, things has been barely manageable. Last week, my anatomy practical was the latest hurdle. This week, it was major tests in Physiology, Microbiology, Biochemisty, and Epidemiology. Next week, it is Histology.

Yikes. Any of these alone would be enough to have me drawn tight enough to devote all my time to it specifically. Together, however, it's a lot like being on The Tonight Show and keeping the spinning plates going: everything is precariously balanced and threatening to spin off into destruction. So it is with me: things are beginning to hit the floor.

When I Said I Wouldn't Have Time to Call or Write, I Wasn't Lying
Recently, I had a pretty big argument with someone dear to me. Conversation started fine enough but, I felt, turned into a questioning of how I'm spending my time and some guilt-laden pressure to stay in better contact. Naturally, I took umbrage at this assertion. Honestly, I have unreturned phone calls and unread email messages from friends and family. It is no joke: I HAVE NO EXTRA TIME. The first week of school was, in retrospect, pretty damned leisurely. Since then, it's been a steamroller that is crushing me.

So, I beg you not to take any lack of communication or of response as a personal slight. Often, if I'm not in class I need the time to recharge my batteries by doing something mindless, by sleeping, by being quiet, or by doing nothing. If I don't take care of myself, I'll be in no shape to be successful at this.

Please consider that I'm under some phenomenal stress here. Not only am I fighting to achieve a goal toward which I've worked for the last several years, I'm trying to do it in a place without the immediate support structure of family and friends.

Think of not hearing from me as "no news is good news." That being said, feel free to drop me a line or leave me a message if you're thinking of me; I love getting cards, messages, and email messages. When I can, I'll get back to you but it might not be for several weeks.

Labor Day Weekend
Last weekend, I went to L.A. for my buddy K's wedding. It was ridiculous. The hotels were fantastic, the food was great, the company was better. I loved seeing family (Winning Run!) and friends and letting them talk me off the ledge and give me some perspective on things going on in the "outside world." Needless to say, I didn't get much studying done for the four exams that I had yesterday (and it showed!) but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Nothing beats having an "In & Out Burger" catering truck show up after your reception to feed those guests who had so much fun dancing and taking advantage of the open bar. In other words, I enjoyed my double-double animal style.

No comments: