Friday, January 01, 2010

2010? Really?

Seems like just yesterday that the eccentric, fanny-pack-wearing IT security guy at my old software job was withdrawing the money from his bank accounts, stockpiling goods, and preparing for the looming Y2K technology meltdown. 

Winning Run and I had a great lunch at Muss and Turner's with Tainted Hummus' own "Keytar Rob."  Later, we made a stop-in at a small get-together with some friends.  Finally, in bed by about 11:30pm because my flight left ATL this morning at 6:30am.  First to Cincinatti, then on to Seattle.  Most of my New Year's Day was spent cramped into seat with a wailing toddler directly behind me kicking my seat for most of the flight.  Hooray me!  Really, I'm not a parent but I'm pretty sure that quietly pleading with a toddler to stop crying is an ineffective strategy.  I'm pretty sure that a bouncing stroll up and down the aisle might've been a better option.  Needless to say, it's only the first of the year and I've already exceeded last year's crying-child-on-a-flight stats by about 1000%.  What can I say, I piss excellence.

Also, I had my first experience with snow chains on the drive over a mountain pass with a classmate.  Best part of it was when some guy in the car behind ours at the chain-up area, came up to me with questions on how to put them on his tires.  "Man, I'd love to help you but I'm from Georgia and this is the first time I've ever touched a snow chain.  I'm afraid I can't help you," I told him laughing.  He shrugged his shoulders and went back to his car to figure it out himself.


Near the top of the pass.

So, now I'm back at my crappy apartment.  Alone.  No television.  No wife.  No dog.  No old-friends to meet for a drink and a visit.  No black-eyed peas.  Or collard greens.  Or ham.  Just me and the thoughts that all this hardship is worth it:  that 2010 will be better than 2009.  That it will be the foundation for better years to come.

Happy New Year.

No comments: