Saturday, October 26, 2013

Huh, How About That?

Last night, I'm preparing to discharge someone from the ED.  When I'm leaving the room the patient says, "I know it isn't related to why I'm here but I have another question..."

I stop, turn around, and say "Sure, go ahead."

"I've heard something about Obamacare and just want to confirm that it's true."

"Okay," I say, awaiting the question.

"Well, it's true, isn't it that when you sign up for Obamacare, you have to get a computer chip implanted in your arm?" pondered the 20-something sitting in front of me.

After I struggled for 10 seconds to be sure that I had processed the query and had, indeed, heard the patient, I responded, "No. That is absolutely not true."

I was so shocked that I couldn't muster more of a response.  I did turn around to repeat myself, however, before I left the room.

No comments: