Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Sentences

A potpourri of things I overheard, read, or said:

Overheard:
"Did I tell you that David's chinchilla is sick and he's going to take it to Athens?"

Read:
Evidently, my chem textbook has the opening sentence for a terrible novel:

"In many environmental or biomedical research applications, a buffer of unusual composition may be required to simulate an ecosystem or stabilize a fragile biological macromolecule."

The next sentences:
As he raced the car down the rain-slicked boulevard, he glanced over at her between drags on his cigarette to see if she understood. If she got it, she would understand why they were in such danger, why Pete was dead, and why Rudy lay in an induced coma in the county hospital.

Said:
Last week, several of us gathered for a few beers after class. I ordered a beer that had a powerful floral aroma. This led me to remark that the beer smelled a little bit like rose water and how I think rose water is sexy or, at the very least, sensual.

For example, if you've eaten at a fancy Moroccan restaurant, the meal begins with you washing your hands in rose water. It's a memorable experience, not necessarily sexy, but very sensual. You end up noting the texture of the water (silky), it's temperature (cool but not cold, crisp), and it's wonderful scent (roses).

Anyway, the rose water comment earned me a few strange looks from the kids. Uncontent to stop there, I followed up with something about it actually reminding me about the sachet my mother kept in her lingerie drawer. This utterance earned even more strange looks; I'd captivated them which prompted me to say:

"I used to dress in my mother's lingerie and bathe myself in rosewater. Is that weird?"

The stares, silence, and nervous laughter it proved were priceless. Most knew I was joking, others didn't exactly know what to think. Yesterday, I got this strange feeling that I might actually be that one guy.

No comments: