Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Congrats, You Aren't Having a Heart Attack

Just walked out of a practical exam in which we are handed a clinical vignette and must tell our attending physician what treatment approach we'd pursue and, afterward, demonstrate a manual medicine technique on our partner.  The scope included cardiopulmonary cases with specific treatments aimed at helping to alleviate a hypersensitive parasympathetic or sympathetic influence on the heart, edema, and cough.

On my second case, I was reading the vignette and avoiding the piercing stare of my attending.  During practicals, he's completely stoic and poker-faced and, frankly, I get a little flustered.  After what seemed like an eternity, I decided that my 14-year-old fictitious patient had a viral infection and had an inhalation dysfunction of the ribs that was impeding the biomechanical aspects of getting full excursion on inspiration.  I stammered my way through my rational about why I thought the patient was medically stable in order to proceed with my course of treatment of the ribs to assist breathing.  I listed a few reasons for why I didn't think he was having a heart attack.  At the end of my list, the attending says "...and he's fourteen." This, of course, is in addition the fact that nothing in the vignette remotely suggested MI.

I turned to my partner and said, "Congratulations, you aren't having a heart attack."

Next stop, big test block tomorrow which marks the end of the respiratory / pulmonary system.  Gonna spend a ton of the night and tomorrow trying to get cancer presentation, genetics, staging, treatment, and microscopic identification into my brain.  (In addition to pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis, occupational pneumoconosis, pharmacological treatment of asthma, various other "bugs and drugs.")  Woo hoo. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there - I've been following your blog for a long time now and thought it about time I comment! I think you are doing a great job and I mentally cheer you on in every post. So glad you and the Mrs are close by each other now. - Amy Wirsching