Friday, June 23, 2006

Is This Really Necessary?

Tough week at the office, this week. I've been getting up early, making the commute before traffic gets terrible, and really getting some good work done. Something's afoot there; I can feel it. First, security was really difficult about letting me back into the parking deck and into the building on Monday. Then, I get to my desk and it's filled with someone else's stuff. I wrote it off as some sort of practical joke and just kept on working.

At about 3pm today, it hit me: I don't work there anymore!

I quit back in May! What the hell was I doing? Why am I still getting checks? How could I be so confused?

Then, I looked a little more closely at my last two checks and shared a hearty laugh with the security team who were walking me to my car. (Seriously, really nice people who insisted on seeing that I made it safely to my car and started on my way back home.)

No wonder I was confused!!! Here's my check from a couple of weeks ago:

Today's check:


I get it, they're trying to remind me that I don't work there.

"Don't come to work here; you don't have a job" is what they're really telling me.

Honestly, I have a hell of a time keeping it straight. Glad they're looking out for me. Now, if I could just find some way of remembering that I'm living on student loans and my wife's salary, I'd be set. Come to think of it, these things fit the bill for that one too!

No comments: